Write a Blues Song in English

Listening to music and songs is a great way to improve your listening skills, vocabulary and pronunciation.
In this activity you create a Blues song and then listen to it. You will then listen to some more Blues music and do some listening dictation.

Task:

Go to: http://www.thebluesmaker.com/ and click on 'Start it Right Away'.
There are ten steps to creating your song. In step 1 complete the first line of the song. The song starts " I lost my .." and you choose the end of the line by clicking on one of the 4 choices.
Then move on to step 2 and choose the harmonica sound you want next. Once you have the sound you like, continue and choose the next line of the song.
Continue through all the steps until you get to step 10, then click on 'Finish my Blues'. Wait a few moments and you will be able to hear your song.
Once the song has finished playing, you can share it by sending it to your friends. Just add email addresses and click send.

If you enjoy this song, you can find more Blues music on YouTube by going to 'Browse', 'Music' and 'Blues' (or click here: Blues).
Try to find a song you like and write down the lyrics / words of the song. Once you think you have written down all the lyrics, go to: http://2hats.net/yl/ Here you will be able to search for the video and the correct lyrics to check your work.

I hope you enjoy this activity and the music you listen to and create.
Related links for teachers:

Best

Nik Peachey

3 comments:

Dani Lyra said...

LOOOOve it! Very creative.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nik,

I can't access this site anymore, but it looks really good. I have clicked several times on the link but another blues website comes up any ideas?

Nik Peachey said...

Yes. I've been searching everywhere trying to find and archived version of this, but it seems like the link and the game is gone for good. If I can't find it soon I'll remove the page. Such a shame.

Sorry

Best

Nik

My Books & Lesson Plans